The following is a guest post from celebrity HGTV Designer Melissa Davis
There’s a romance in the meandering absorption of ideas that at some end, culminate in a completed concept and physical space. That is until we realize the contractor needs the flooring selection by Tuesday, and the looming dinner party, hath no dinner table. As luck would have it, the Annual Interior Design Show is the solution for designers and home aficionados, alike.
Now in its 19th year, this annual show has become the must-attend event for the design community. Whether you’re planning a full renovation or searching for that last detail, material or stroke of inspiration, mark your calendar, wear comfy shoes and I shall see you at the show!
Here’s what tops my list at IDS 2017:
1. Be Inspired: AyA Kitchens and Baths never disappoints with their annual tradition of partnering with a notable design team, creating impressive examples of both the practical and whimsical reality of the contemporary kitchen.
2. Source New Products: A few of my go-to suppliers are on display this year. Be sure to check out the latest in cabinet and kitchen hardware from Lee Valley Tools, designer approved luxury vinyl, engineered and laminate flooring from Evoke and Kentwood and the latest in quartz composite counters from Quartex Surfaces.
3. The Latest Tech: The LAB is where technology and design meet. This curated section will feature the newest and latest technology, apps and gadgets for design trade professionals and homeowners.
4. Superstar Speakers: Plan your visit around your favourite design star, with the rare opportunity to hear what inspires, and drives their success. An impressive lineup, this year’s show includes: Nicholas Haslam, one of the world’s finest Interior Designers sought by royalty and rock stars, alike. Megan Torza, inspires with her socially-minded, contextually-sensitive portfolio, and Canada’s own style maven Jeanne Beker will be on stage, to name a few.
5. Be The First: designboom brings back its international design market for IDS17, offering 30 creative professionals from all over the world the opportunity to introduce their new products to the Canadian market. This is a unique interactive platform for emerging and established designers to test their new ideas. Visitors can purchase the self-produced or limited edition pieces directly from the designers.
6. Design Competitions: For the second year, Metropolitan Hardwood Floors (Metro), manufacturer of the Kentwood line of premium hardwood floors, is holding the Kentwood IDS Design Challenge. Rather than a traditional trade show booth, the company proposed to showcase the talent and creativity of students from some of Canada’s leading design institutions.
Students were challenged to create a unique design utilizing Kentwood hardwood flooring, and five finalists were selected to ‘build out’ their visions at IDS this year, where their work was judged by a panel of industry experts and viewed by visitors to the show. Excited to take part among the other design judges at this year’s show. The installations will remain on view throughout the weekend, and visitors will be invited to vote on a ‘People’s Choice’ award. Drop by booth 710 and cast your vote
The six finalists selected from the submitted designs are:
- Leticia Hutchings of Ryerson School of Interior Design for her concept for <25
- Annie Zheng, Avis Ho, Iris Ho and Sony Chen of OCAD University for Immersion
- Kexin Zhang and Alana Lee of Ryerson School of Interior Design for Structurally Chaotic
- Nazanin Minoei and Raha Rouhollahi of OCAD University for Embrace
- Kyle Wong, Andria Wong and Eleanor Kuan of Ryerson School of Interior Design for Rift
- Parker Galbraith-Nolan and Dylan Roworth of OCAD University for Empty Gestures
Want to get started on your home buying and selling journey? Give us a call at (416) 800-0812 and check out our listing page – which carries the largest database of resale and pre-construction homes in the GTA.
Toronto-based celebrity designer and contractor Melissa Davis is known for her appearances, creative design and reno work produced for various HGTV shows. Her work has been profiled nationally in print publications. With almost two decades of reno and design experience, her firm continues to service clientele throughout Ontario & the GTA, specializing in value-adding ROI and resale consultations.